Sunday, June 9, 2013

Are Mormons Christians?

During Sacrament meeting today, I was really impressed upon the necessity of answering this question. Since joining the church, I have received many questions regarding my new beliefs and standards. I have done my best to answer them, and I hope that the Spirit has been able to speak through me, because the Spirit can convey the message so much better than I could ever hope to do.

To start off with, what is a Christian? According to the Bible dictionary: "Christians: A name first given to believers in Jesus Christ in Antioch in Syria, about A.D. 43 (Acts 11: 26). It was perhaps given contemptuously, but was accepted by followers of Christ as a fit title." Christians are those that follow Christ. They accept His commandments, accept His offer of salvation, and try to live their lives emulating His.

What do the Mormons believe in? To answer that question, let me refer to the 13 Articles of Faith:

  1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
  2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
  3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
  4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
  5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
  6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
  7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
  8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
  9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
  10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
  11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
  12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
  13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
    All that is written here shows that Mormons are following Christ, God's only Begotten Son. We only worship God and His Son, and nothing else. Doing anything else would be heresy. We do not worship Joseph Smith, nor any of the other Prophets that have been called in this dispensation. We do listen to their counsel, because as Prophet they act as mouthpiece for God (more discussion on that topic will be saved for a later post).
    One question that I love being asked by people is, how has your faith changed/improved since you have joined the LDS church? The answer to that question: by leaps and bounds. I feel like I have so much more direction and focus in my life. I understand the Scriptures so much better than I ever have before. I read out of the Bible, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine & Covenants almost daily. I pray so much more now, than I ever have before. I now have a deeper connection with my Creator, who knows me personally. I have sought more specific advice on matters at hand, and I know that I have received direct answers to the questions I have asked. My love for the Savior of the world has increased more than I ever thought imaginable. That is why I am a Christian, that is why I will always be a Christian.
    Another good way to sum it up is with a Scripture verse: 2 Nephi 25:26, "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." That is how I try to live my life.
    And, I am excited to let you know that I will be doing a mini-mission (hopefully) from July 9-August 3!!! I am super excited!! I will be in a tri-companionship with two other Sister missionaries currently out serving. My guess is that I will be placed in the PA Pittsburgh Mission, since that is where I am currently living. I would greatly appreciate your prayers during this time. And, if anyone wants to get my mission updates, send me your email address, and I will add you to the list.
    Elder O'Laughlin, Elder Low, Elder Allred, Me, Elder Glover, and Elder King at the Erie Zoo.



    I'm a Mormon.


No comments:

Post a Comment