Wednesday, July 10, 2013

About God and Jesus Christ

It is sad to me when I hear other Christians call Mormons not Christians, or hear that we "worship another god". The reasoning behind this viewpoint is our view of the Godhead. In most Christian churches, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are seen as one, a trinity. Although, there are numerous times in the Bible when the Beings are referred to separately, that is still the prevailing belief. Under the heading of LDS, we believe that they are separate Heavenly Beings, but one in purpose, hence the term Godhead. There was an excellent talk given in the April 2013 General Conference by Elder Christoffel Golden Jr. of the Seventy that I will refer to heavily in this blog post. His talk was entitled, "The Father and the Son" (pgs 99-101 of the May 2013 edition of the Ensign).

'The importance of this most fundamental principle [correct understanding of the Father and the Son] of the gospel of Jesus Christ is confirmed by the First Vision of the Prophet Joseph Smith in 1820. The Prophet wrote: "I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other--This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!"'

As can be seen by this first point made by Elder Golden, the young Prophet Joseph Smith saw Jesus Christ and God the Father as two separate Beings. Okay, well, some people may not believe in this first part, because it is the basis for the LDS church, and is highly controversial. How about a look into the Bible then, because all Christians believe in that.

'In the New Testament, for example, we read of Stephen's final testimony at his martyrdom. Said he, "Behold, I see the heaven opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God." (Acts 7:56)' Now, how could the Son of God [Christ] stand on the right hand of God, if they were both the same Being? Continuing in Elder Golden's talk, 'While in mighty vision on the Isle of Patmos, the Apostle John sees the "Lord God Almighty" (Revelation 4:8) as well as the Lamb of God, who "redeemed us...by [His] blood" (Revelation 5:9).' There are many other examples as well, take the baptism of Jesus Christ in Matthew 3, where all three personages of the Godhead appear at the same time (God=voice from Heaven, Jesus Christ=physically in the water, and Spirit=descending in the form of a dove); when Christ is transfigured in front of his disciples, Peter gets a little concerned, offers to build a shelter, and then God speaks directly to them (Matthew 17:5). Plus, there is also the creation account in Genesis 1 which has God making mankind (verse 26), "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..." This again refers to more than one Being for which mankind is being made.

Jesus and God work together. The way that they are able to go about this, causes a oneness of mind, a oneness of spirit. Referring back to Elder Golden, 'Every time our Lord refers to His Heavenly Father, He does so with the utmost reverence and submissiveness. In saying this, I hope there will be no misunderstanding. Jesus Christ is the great Jehovah, the God of Israel, the promised Messiah, and because of his infinite Atonement, he is our Savior and the Redeemer of the world. Of Him the Apostle Paul declared, "Then cometh the end, when [Christ] shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when [Christ] shall have put down all rule and all authority and power" (1 Corinthians 15:24).' Paul is suggesting that at the end of time, Christ will give up His kingdom back to God, meaning that Christ was ruling it for a while, and then, like a faithful son would, returned it back to his loving Father.

True, there are also references in the Bible to Christ and God sharing a oneness, like in John 17:20-22, which reads, "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one." This oneness, that the Apostles are told to be imitating, is a oneness of purpose. Christ mentioned the relationship of himself to His Father, and their oneness in purpose, in Spirit, and in Truth, but separate in personal existence.

Elder Golden has a good way of explaining it, 'The Father and the Son are distinctly separate beings, but They are perfectly united and one in power and purpose. Their oneness is not reserved for Them alone; rather, They desire this same oneness for everyone who will, with devotion, follow and obey Their commandments.' We get this oneness with God and His Son through the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost witnesses to the truth of all things, is a comforter, and witnesses of Christ, among other wonderful things.

So, what is the purpose of all of this? Why does it matter? Other than me just trying to fully assert that I am still a Christian. Because, having the Godhead as three separate Beings, means so much more to me than having one Being who changes form when it seems appropriate. This makes my whole relationship with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit much more personal. I know that I have a Father in Heaven, and also a perfect older Brother. This falls in line with God's continual focus on the family unit. Knowing that Christ atoned for my sins, because His Father asked Him to, and therefore I should do whatever it is that my Father asks me to. The road may not always be easy, and I cannot always see the end that God sees,  but I know that if I continue to follow God, as best as I can, that I will be blessed. 

I bear my testimony that I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are separate individuals, and that my life has been, and will be continually blessed as I seek to follow Them. It is important to seek the truth, and to have the Holy Ghost bear witness to all things that point to Christ, and to the truth in other areas of life. Only by seeking the truth, have I come to this realization. My God is a very real, very personal, Father in Heaven, who cared enough to send His only Begotten Son to atone for all the sins of the world. I end this blog post, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment