Sunday, January 26, 2014

Lessons learned from the West

From the week of December 28, 2013 through January 4, 2014, I had the amazing opportunity to travel and visit many families in a short period of time. I really love to travel, to see more of the beautiful world that God, through Jesus Christ, made, to learn about people from different walks of life, and to appreciate all that a place has to offer.

I was only able to do this trip because of all the time and effort that I had placed in friendships with those who have served here, in Erie, PA. You can ask almost any of the missionaries here, and they all know that I love to go out and help teach with them. I know how instrumental it was to me, to learn about the Restored Gospel and all the joy that it has brought into my life since then. So, after some of my missionary friends finish their missions, I keep in contact with them, and then (like I did recently) I visit them.

I learned that my body can be stretched to the limits. The Friday before I fly to Salt Lake City, I drove from Nashua, NH to Erie, PA, and then to Pittsburgh, PA. I then had to retire to bed early, in order to wake up ridiculously early (~3am) so I could drop off my car, and then fly out at 7am. I was extremely excited because I hadn't been out West since 2006, and definitely not since I joined the Church and made all the amazing friends that I have now in my life. I arrived into SLC around 11am, and my friend Taylor picked me up from the airport. I hadn't seen him for about one year, so it was amazing to see him again. It was so surreal seeing someone post mission who had been instrumental in my conversion. (Taylor Reese had done my baptismal interview about 15 months ago). You make friends with these wonderful missionaries, and then, if you are lucky, you get the awesome experience to see them again in their real life. I was lucky many times over. :)

I then drove to Clearfield, UT to visit Josh Beames' family. His mom, Teri Beames, has been a great influence on my life and has helped me many times when I have struggled. I consider her an extension of my family. I got to meet all of the siblings and tour the outside of the Ogden temple that was getting remodeled, and visited a few stores in the region. I absolutely love the Beames family!

Outside of the Ogden, UT temple.

The amazing Beames family!


I then headed over to Provo, UT to meet up with Linny and Clark Allsop. Linny is Elder Colvin's sister (one of the influential missionaries who initially taught me the gospel). She is pregnant right now and is due in May. We had a fun time, playing board games and then watching a movie. It was good to see his sister again and finally met her husband (who I had been joking didn't exist until then). We had a great time. I stayed up until 11pm MST (1am EST), so I was awake for 22 hours. I became a little crazy at the end, and a little incoherent as well.

Linny and Clark Allsop

The next morning I drove to Draper, UT to meet up with Taylor and his family and go to church. His family was super nice, fed me lunch, and then Taylor did a superb job showing me around SLC. Before then, we headed to see the Draper temple. (I find it so cool that there are so many temples in a short distance. Our nearest temple is 3 hrs away, and that makes it harder to worship as frequently as I would like). Taylor showed me temple square and all it had to offer. We had an absolute blast!

Taylor and I outside of the Draper temple

Taylor and I outside of the SLC temple

That evening I drove and met up with one of Shana Butler's siblings living in Provo, who was willing to put me up for a few nights. That was extremely kind and thoughtful of her, especially since she had never met me before. The next day I met up with another one of Shana's siblings, Adam, who I had been in communication with for awhile. We got to see the Bountiful temple and then he showed me a bit of SLC as well. (It is the place to be, anyway!) That evening I learned a new card game, called The Great Dalmuty.

Bountiful Temple

We had the amazing opportunity to do a live session in the SLC temple the following day. Adam and I got to go, and if any member has never done a live session before, I would highly recommend going. Doing a live one gives a completely different take on the entire endowment session, and allows for the people who are participating to give their own takes on what is happening as well. I absolutely loved it, and wish I could do sessions like that more often. Then, I really wanted to see the Provo temple, and the MTC since all my amazing friends had trained there. Unfortunately, I couldn't actually go into the MTC, but I got to see some young missionaries around there, which was quite the thrill.

Adam and I by the Provo temple

That same day I went to Kanosh, UT to meet up with the Crabb family. Tyler had served in North East, PA, and I had previously taught with him and Mark Meier many times. We got to go shooting! Now, I had never shot a gun before, and it was wicked intimidating to do it initially, but so much fun. (A bunch of my guy friends now joke with me, wondering when I'll buy my own gun). I wasn't the best at it, but I'm no longer scared of doing it. I can now defend myself! That evening we blew up firecrackers, which is something that you can do easily in the middle of nowhere.

Me and Tyler in Kanosh, UT

The following day I drove to Mesa, AZ. It took about 8 hours, and I had to drive through some of the most beautiful landscape that I have ever seen. The mountains are breathtakingly gorgeous out there. And since there was hardly any radio reception there, I got to do a lot of thinking. I met up with Daniel Anderson. We went for dinner, hot tub, and card games. The next day we went hiking with his best friend (after attempting running) and ate at In N Out for the first time ever. Later on that day I took Daniel to the temple. It was his first time going since he had received his own endowment prior to starting his mission in PA. I loved going with him and sharing in that experience.

Daniel and I at the top of the hiking trail

I then went to see the Colvins again (which are like my second family), and got to spend a day and a half with them. I got to go to the temple with Andrea, and talk to her for such a long time in the Celestial room. It was very knowledgeable and inspiring.

After this trip, I learned that I am planning on doing my residency out West. I love it there soo much! I was able to fully be myself, and experience wonderful opportunities there. I have always loved to travel, and I am now going to try very hard to get myself out there. I know that if God wants me there, He will provide a way. This means that I am, and have currently scheduled, both medical exams, both the COMLEX and the USMLE. It is going to be tough, but worth it. I only have a year and a half left before I become a doctor. I still can't believe that I'm here, learning, pushing myself to the limits, and learning so much about the gospel. This has been the hardest, and yet, most rewarding year and a half of my life. I wouldn't change a thing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment