Sunday, April 20, 2014

What the Atonement means to me

Easter is such a wonderful time of year. It's when we remember Christ's ministry on the earth, leading up to his betrayal, crucifixion, and resurrection. It's the most amazing gift ever. That Christ would willingly sacrifice his life so that the whole world would be saved. Before the world was created, Christ was a part of this plan.

There was a council in heaven, before the worlds were created. The spirits were trying to determine a plan to save the world. Two plans were proposed. One was from Satan, saying, "Behold, here am I, send me, I will be thy son, and I will redeem all mankind, that one soul shall not be lost, and surely I will do it; wherefore give me thine honor" (Moses 4:2). Christ also offered a plan; He  wanted to allow people to have free will, also offered to do whatever the Lord required, and that all the glory would go to God. The council decided to follow Christ's plan. A third of heaven fell away and followed Satan. Christ was willing to do anything that was required, even sacrificing his whole life, so that the world would be saved.

When Christ was in the garden of Gethsemane, he prayed to His Father for strength. He needed strength to be able to go through all the pain and agony that would occur during his betrayal and death on the cross. In the garden, he suffered much. In Doctrine and Covenants 19:18-19, "Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit-and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink-Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men." Christ decided to follow through, because he knew that doing so would save all people. He knew all people that were, are, and that would be, could see them all, and loved each and everyone of them. Both there, and on the cross, when Christ suffered unimaginable pain and agony, he felt all our pains, sorrows, sins, and anguish. Christ bore it all.

By dying, being buried, and rising again from the dead, he atoned for all the sins of the world. He provided a way for us to have eternal life. All are given immortality, but only some will live with God forever. Those that live with God for all of eternity are those that are faithful, have followed his commandments, have made and kept sacred covenants, and have endured through life's difficulties. We will all stand trial before God, and Christ will cover the sins of those who have chosen Him.

This atonement means so much to me. By it and through it, I know that I have been redeemed. All my sins have been wiped away and mean no more. Yes, I have screwed up in my past, and I will make other errors in my future, but as long as I continue to repent and change my ways, I will be forgiven, for each and every one of them. Christ has felt all my pains and sorrows. He knows exactly what I am going through, in every moment of my life. He is the great Comforter and Protector. I know I can always turn to Him in any situation, and that He will guide my life. Through Him, I can become more than I could be on my own. I know that God has a perfect plan for my life, and I strive my best to live it, day by day.

Me on Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment