Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Value of Virtue over Virginity

I recently moved into a new ward, located in Elmira, NY. Since I've been a member for awhile now, I've started attending Gospel Doctrine instead of Gospel Principles. In the Gospel Doctrine class, we've been covering the Old Testament. Last week we went over the book of Ruth. She has quite an incredible story. She was married, and then her husband died. She had a sister-in-law, Orpah, who also had a husband who had recently died. Ruth and Orpah were traveling with Naomi, the mother of their deceased husbands.

"And Naomi said unto her two daughters in law, Go, return each to her mother's house: the Lord deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me. The Lord grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband" Ruth 1:8-9.

Naomi was aware that she, also being recently widowed, would be unable to provide adequate support for her daughters-in-law, and they were also of an age where they could easily remarry. Naomi wanted the best for them, and she believed that having them leave her would provide the best options. At first, both Ruth and Orpah said that they wanted to stay with Naomi, but after some persuading, Orpah decided to return to her mother's home. Naomi was surprised that Ruth stayed, but Ruth replied, "Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me" (Ruth 1:16-17). Ruth's response was very powerful. She had learned Naomi's true character, how she interacted with others, how she practiced her faith, and knew that she wanted to follow after her. She was willing to give up all she knew, and to move to a new place to continue living the right way.

Later on, Ruth meets up with Boaz, who happens to be a kinsman, and he treats her kindly. Naomi helps with this, and they become acquainted, and later on married. However, Ruth was not a virgin when she married. She had been married previously. Now, for some people, both back then and now, that may have been an issue. But, before I give my opinion on the topic, read what Boaz had to say about Ruth: "It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore...And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman" (Ruth 2:11, 3:11). Ruth had been living in the area for not a terribly long period of time, but long enough for people to create an impression of her. Probably initially they were a bit worried, with her being a Moabitish woman, but then they actually met her and learned of her character. She helped out Naomi so much by gleaning wheat for her, and supporting her to the best of her capabilities. People had noticed how she cared more for Naomi than her own needs, by not pursuing younger men that she could potentially marry. Ruth had proved herself loyal, a hard worker, a very caring individual, compassionate, and a woman of good moral character. Plus, she was following the God of Naomi, meaning that she was following after Elohim. All of these are very desirable characteristics to have in a wife. This is an example of a case where virtue outshines virginity.

Now, don't get me wrong, both virtue and virginity are extremely important aspects to have, and both should be striven for. But, say for example, that a young woman is unaware of the consequences of her actions, makes a bad decision in her teenage years, and then has the stigma of not being a virgin following her head for years to come. If she changes her way, puts herself on the right path, starts following the commandments, then shouldn't her past be fully forgiven and washed clean, like how it's written in Isaiah? And shouldn't other people judge her the way that God judges her? If we were to look at the statistics, a very small percentage of teenagers make it through those years of their lives chaste. Now, some commit the act and keep it up, while others do it a few times, are aware of the wrongness of their actions, and truly repent. These people deserve a second chance, and are granted it by God, but not always by society. I think that more people should be compassionate to those individuals who have truly repented and changed their ways. More people need to view people with Christ's eyes.

The teacher of the lesson in my ward made these points. He also mentioned the importance of teaching virtue to the youth in our wards. We need to make sure that the youth know that if they mess up, break the law of chastity, that all hope is not lost for them. Their is forgiveness, a way to right the wrong, and to forgive themselves as well. If someone really repents, they are viewed as a virgin again in the eyes of God. On the flip-side, just because someone is a virgin, does not mean that they live virtuously. They may be a virgin, but they may push the boundaries on what they should or should not be doing. The actions and desires of the heart is the true judge of a person's character, and all of that is evaluated by God. I'll get off my soapbox now. I hope I didn't offend anyone; that was not my intent.

I will close by bearing my testimony. I know that Christ's atonement covers all of our sins. I know that I have been washed clean of my misdeeds, and that in God's eyes I am pure. Yes, I still screw up, but I know that as I continue to live my life in a way that is pleasing in his sight, that I will grow closer to Him each day. I know that God loves all of us, and wants us all to return to Him. I am so thankful for Christ's sacrifice, and all things that the Gospel has done for my life. I say all these things, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Visiting with Sister Sampson and Sister Holmstead, some wonderful missionary friends of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment