Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Importance of Motherhood

With my marriage to my best friend, Timothy Harbison, right around the corner (3 months away), I have a lot of thoughts going through my mind. What's it going to be like? Will I get everything done in time? Will I be able to make it until then? And questions of the like. One thing that I've been thinking about a lot is my desire to become a mother.

I've always wanted to be a mother. Ever since I was a little girl growing up, I yearned for the day that I could have children. Having and bearing children is one of the wonderful gifts and miracles that God allows us to partake in. He's giving us a bit of his creative power to make life, and life is very similar to ourselves. It is a wonderful gift, and an incredible responsibility.

Some of the importance of family is found in, "The Family: A Proclamation to the World."

The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.

Together, fathers and mothers have been divinely created to help each other in the raising of children. For all of this to work, the house needs to be centered on God. For without God, we could not have had this wonderful power bestowed upon us. I know that being a good parent is a very difficult and demanding job at times; however, it is also very rewarding. There are going to be many sleepless nights, fights between parents and children, and tears shed, but there will also be lessons learned, faith shared, and family bonds strengthened.

For me, it is very important to start building my family soon after getting married. I am just so excited to start on this new adventure and I don't want to wait very long. Plus, as a future doctor (hopefully a pediatrician) there is no good time to start a family. If I were to wait until the money was perfectly stable, we both had good jobs, a good house, etc, we would never have kids. I think that I have reached the point in my life where I am ready to become a mother. I know that becoming a mother soon after getting married will put some strain and stress on my new marriage, and on finishing medical school, but I know that God will lead and direct Tim and I with what we should do, and how to obtain our goals. Children are wonderful blessings that are available to us. I know that I have been shown that by my own wonderful mother.

My mother wanted to have many kids, but she was blessed to only have me. She gave me so much love and affection through my growing up period, and even now, as I've entered adulthood. She has been there through sickness, heartaches, difficulties with school, working, and moving to different parts of the country. She has always been steadfast in her own faith, and has shown me the importance of putting others above herself. No matter how my mom is feeling physically, she puts on a smile and greets the day with happiness and joy. She knows that there are many others in worse situations and conditions than she is in, and tries to help them as best as she can. And she prays for everyone that she knows. I hope to become at least half of the mother that my mom is to me .

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles shared this message about the importance of motherhood: click here.

I know that it will be hard, but it will be worth it. I am making motherhood a priority in my life. I cannot wait to have children with my best friend, Timothy Harbison, at my side, with Christ leading and guiding our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment